So the other day Wyatt and I were heading home after visiting our local branch of the library. It is so much nicer to go to the library with only one kid to keep quiet and to keep tabs on. The library is pretty close to our house with only a few stop lights in between our house and it's front door. As you can imagine with our living in a larger metropolis area there are a few more panhandlers. Our variety like to wait at the lights in the crosswalk section and when the light turns red they walk in between the cars to make your experience with them much more personal. Yesterday was not unlike any other day, I was stopped at a red light and there were a few people working together to collect money. I was the third car back from the light in the third lane over. A "gentleman" came by my window and I kindly waved him off (the universal sign for I'm not giving you money) and he paused at my car. Took a look at my license plate (which still reads Washington) and taps on my window. I smile at him and then look away. He taps again. I roll the window down about a micro inch and our conversation goes like this.....
him: Washington huh? You from Seattle?
me: No
him: Have you seen that new Steven Segall movie?
me: ummm, No
Him: Well it's about those Aryan Nation guys in Seattle that are raping woman and getting away with it
me: oh really, haven't seen it. I think though the Aryan Nation is in Northern Idaho.
(My information goes unnoticed, apparently there isn't a difference)
him: Yeah there are some corrupt police over there and they aint doing nothing about it so Steven Segall has to go in take care of those people.
me: Yeah I missed that one. Have a good day!!
I couldn't help but laugh. I guess what made this interaction all the more interesting and slightly hilarious, was the accusatory look in his eyes. Obviously he took the plot of the movie to be a reenactment of actual events, and apparently Steven Segall is someone he looks up to get the job done. The other reason I found it amusing was he is an African American guy and well I am basically as white as you can get. Naturally I would be one of them Aryan Nation types because my car says I'm from Washington and I'm white. That is all the evidence he needs to brand me a prejudice person, I could see it in the stink eye he gave me.
I couldn't help but chuckle. I am just adding it to list of interesting encounters I get to experience here. It might be a long list by the time I am done.
6 comments:
Gosh, I wouldn't know how to react to that one. Good thing I live in little 'ol Lewiston, Idaho. :)
WOW...
good luck my friend! ;)) i will pray for you.. you might need a few extra sent up!
I am experiencing culture shock out here on the East Coast. I've seen some crazy things, too. I am so sorry. I think I will be coming close to where you live for a visit...maybe we could meet up!
Take Care...hopefully, it will get better!
I guess I should say that I am fine having all the run ins with different people. I didn't post about it because I was mad or weirded out, I thought it was hilarious!!
I knew it. I knew you were a racist. I always suspected it, but thanks to a vagrant, I now know it's true.
Jeepers! Creepers!
Post a Comment