So if you can remember this picture from the last post. I had mentioned that there was a funny story to go along with how I got this shot. Well, ya know when you see a shot and you are like oh, that is perfect. I thought that when I had looked out across the tidal basin and saw the Washington Monument framed by a cherry tree in full bloom. Margaret, my mother-in-law, had seen the same photo-op as well and had snapped a picture before I could squeeze in behind her to get one on my camera. To say there were a few people out looking at the cherry blossoms that day would be like saying that there are a "few" bees in a beehive. The place was swarming with people and so in order to get any shots we had to be patient and understanding of all those other people that were trying to get their shots too. Well most people are aware of the fact that they aren't the only ones around taking pictures. They would look around themselves before taking a shot and move quickly afterward. That is to say until we met a dear couple who we'll call Fred and Wilma.
There they are, aren't they just adorable? I love how Fred has his hat backwards and Wilma is striking that pose. They walked into the shot just seconds after Margaret got her shot, in fact when I went back to look at her pictures, Wilma is in one just off to the left side. So you would think since they have got their shot they would move on. For heavens sakes they even swapped and she even took some pictures of Fred too. I was in position (squatting down, trying to keep out of other people's way) just waiting for the instant that they walked out of the frame so I could get my shot and move on.
Unfortunately, that was easier said than done. She apparently got a phone call and decided to chat, which I can't say I blame her. She has no idea that 25 feet behind her some poor woman's feet are going to sleep from lack of blood due to poor positioning.
The phone call ends and Wilma decides to start doing something else. My guess is that she is texting, but I'm not sure of that and Fred decides that since they aren't going anywhere anytime soon that he will start snapping some more pictures.
Yup, still texting-snapping pictures. Oh, yeah and my feet are officially dead, in case you were wondering.
I wanted to end it all right there, but I really wanted the picture of the pretty blossoms and the wonderful monument. I could have just taken the picture and done some photoshop trick later and cut Fred and Wilma out of my photo but I didn't want to. I wanted the real thing minus Fred and Wilma. I know how picky can I get.

Margaret was by this point laughing so hard at my determination to get the picture and at Wilma's determination to make me work for it. So she snuck down to see what was taking Wilma and Fred so long. I was right in my earlier assumption. Wilma was texting away to who knows who. I know how long it takes me to text (I am still a novice at it) so I can imagine it may be taking poor Wilma longer than normal. Or I could be completely wrong and she could be one savvy grandma, but for heaven sakes get a move on honey!!
Margaret got a humdinger of an idea and saved the day. She went down and offered to take Fred and Wilma's picture for them. Of course by this time Wilma was done with her 500 word text, but Margaret took them off to the side anyway stating that there was a great picture to be taken out of my frame. Ten seconds later I had my shot and I was done. A lot of waiting around but so worth it. I didn't have to come home and photoshop Fred and Wilma out and I have a pretty picture to remind me of the wonderful day down with the Cherry blossoms. What I will do for a pretty picture!!







5 comments:
Okay, I am hysterically laughing now! To relive it again is priceless!
Too funny Aimee! Love the picture of you waiting for that "perfect" moment (that never happened!) :)
Way to go on getting the shot! That is impressive...both your patience and also the quick thinking to offer to take their picture. It sounds like you worked as a team! So funny that they were standing in that exact spot the WHOLE time. Hilarious!
Love it!! Thanks for the laugh!!! Xo
Love the story and the picture!
Post a Comment