




We have had more snow this winter than the last two combined. The kids have enjoyed each and every snowfall. They have gotten pretty conditioned though, to think that with every bit of snow or icy rain, they should get a snow day or at the very least a two hour delay. We are hoping to not have to make up any days at the end of the year.
We will enjoy it while it lasts. I try to remind myself that in the heat of the summer I will wish for a little cooler weather. So instead of wishing for something else I am trying to enjoy each season for what they offer.
I think that is the key to happiness in life anyways. Don't wish for a distant time in the future when everything is supposed to be perfect. The perfect house, or perfect job, or perfect place to live or even perfect weather. Instead enjoy each day as it comes for what it is. There is happiness to be enjoyed today, not tomorrow or next week. Happiness isn't some distant goal to be had when and if some milestone is reached. If you live like that you aren't going to find that elusive happiness. The moments of real joy will have already been missed.
Ryan and I are coming up on our 15th wedding anniversary and in all those years there has been ONE year where our life was somewhat normal. It was in between undergrad and medical school. We were both working and had one child. It felt like we had spent more time with each other in that one year than in all of our relationship up to that point. We joked with each other that our marriage worked because we didn't spend a lot of time with each other. Kinda sad when you think about it. Before that year of normalcy, Ryan was playing baseball 9 months of the year, with constant practice, games and travel. The years after that normal year have been spent away from family, and a lot of time away from each other. It has been one wild ride I tell ya. Do I wish that is was different? No. We have gone into this adventure with the attitude that each and every step along this journey has something good to offer, something that we won't get to experience ever again. We have lived longer away from family than we have lived next to them. But we have lived in some great places and next to some amazing people. Our kids have seen and experienced amazing things that they wouldn't have, if we were so bound and determined to not to recognize the opportunities before us.
I am not perfect at living with this attitude. Sometimes I find myself wishing for things or changes that I think will make life that much better. Forgetting that life right now, today, is pretty great without anything added to it. It is always good to be reminded to enjoy each season of life (figuratively or otherwise). So roll in the snow and make a snow angel, dance in the rain, build a sand castle in the blazing hot sun and jump in the leaves once they're piled high. You'll be glad you did!!
2 comments:
Such a great reminder! Loved this! And loved catching up on all the news!
So true! Great to see the kiddos enjoying a real winter "finally" :)
Post a Comment