One of my must do's while in Hawaii was going to Pearl Harbor. Ryan had been before when he made several trips to Hawaii for baseball. My maternal Grandfather fought in WWII and missed being at Pearl Harbor when it was attacked by a day. He was stationed on the USS Enterprise during the war. The USS Enterprise was suppose to have been coming into harbor before the attack but had been held up by weather. After the attack was over they came into the harbor under the cover of night to refuel and then snuck back out to sea before the sun came up. I was quite surprised at how emotional I found myself standing there where the attack took place. I was glad I had sunglasses on so that no one could see me blubber. We took a little boat out to the USS Arizona memorial, where over 1000 men are entombed. It was a simple, yet powerful tribute to those men and I loved getting to see it.
#4: A Room with a View
This was the sight I saw out my hotel balcony each day. Our room was suppose to be only a partial ocean view but I thought it was a pretty dang nice view. I was able to sit out and read, listen to the waves coming in and just slow down for a little while.
#5: The Temple
While on our way to the North Shore to play on the beach we stopped at the Laei Temple. As always with the temples, the grounds are so beautiful and quiet. We were dressed ready for the beach and I felt a little awkward being there but I am glad we stopped anyway. The visitor's center was beautiful. The missionaries there were setting up all their Christmas trees, which seemed kinda funny, only because of the weather.
While on the North Shore we stopped at Waimea beach and had the best time playing in the water. There was a large sand bar that jutted out into the ocean and so you could walk quite a ways before you were deep in water. It was perfect for trying to body surf the waves coming in and that is just what we TRIED to do. It would have been better if we had had boards but it was still a lot of fun.
Playing in the sand was another fun thing to do. I got a natural pedicure from just walking on the beach. At one beach we saw these little sand crabs scurrying all over the place and Ryan tried catching some of them. They were too fast though and I only got a half way decent picture of one. The one down side of the sand was that it was hard to get off when you were done playing in it. I heart sandy beaches!!
My other must do while in Hawaii was snorkeling. Hanauma Bay is one of the best places to go snorkeling. We payed for a guided tour and that was wonderful. They picked us up from our hotel, drove us out there, took us all around the coral reef, feed us snacks and brought us back to our hotel. All we had to worry about was having a good time. To say the bay is beautiful would be an understatement. It was gorgeous!! It was a beautiful day and the water was pretty clear. According to our guide it was a 6 or 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 for visibility. We saw 4 turtles and TONS of brightly colored fish. Some of which were so unique I couldn't keep my eyes off of them. I wish we could have snorkeled a little longer but we had such a good time. I got an underwater camera and I can't wait to get those pictures back. Hopefully some of them turned out. It is hard to see through your mask and then through a tiny little view hole. My kids are excited to see the pictures of the turtles.

#9: North Shore Shaved Ice with Ice Cream
While on the North Shore we stopped to get a shaved ice. We had heard of them and people said they were to die for. Come on shaved ice is just shaved ice right? Well they have a little secret weapon that will make you come back time and time again for their shaved ice. They put a scoop of vanilla ice cream at the bottom, then top it with shaved ice and your choice of flavoring. I know you might think "WEIRD", but it really is awesome. We tried the rainbow one, but after having it I think I would have liked to have tried the Root beer flavored one. A root beer float of sorts. We had these before dinner, and it was so worth it.
Last but not least, the sunsets were amazing. The first few nights were a little too cloudy to get a good sunset but I finally sat out on the beach for like an hour determined to get a picture of a Hawaiian sunset. I am glad I persevered. There isn't anything better than sitting on the beach next to your honey, while watching the sun set.
We had so much fun while in Hawaii. Ryan was successful with the research part of the trip, ya know the actual reason we went to Hawaii in the first place. One of his papers won an award for best research paper by a resident. He was pretty proud of that as he should be, he worked really hard on that project. I hope it isn't another 10 years before Ryan and I get to do that again. It was too much fun!!!







19 comments:
I love all your favorites too. Matt and I use to live there and we sorely miss everything about it.
Totally jelous now:) Looks like you guys had so much fun! It's always nice to have a little break, and spend time with just your husband.
Love all the pictures!
thanks for the awesome company. thanks for the great pictures as well. it was a blast.....memories for sure!!
xoxo
Ah...I'm jealous. A vacation to yourselves. How wonderful! After 10 years, you deserve it! :)
What wonderful memories. Your photography is fabulous! Before we were roommates I lived there for a year and ohh how I am flooded with memories. We used to go to the Hale Koa for "staycations". The church where you went was our stake center they call it the tabernacle.
Don't be shy about your tears at the Arizona Memorial, I think it is worth a good tear or two.
I lived about 10 minutes from Hanauma Bay, that place is amazing!!
Thanks for bringing back some good memories!
Ahhhh, I'm officially totally jealous! Holy smokes, it truly is paradise from the sound of things. We celebrate 10 years in June and I dream of something like this (but also know it totally won't be happening!!). :) I will live vicariously through you two, I suppose! Looks like an amazing trip!
What a fantastic vacation! It's rare to have those moments with our men, so I'm glad to know you had such a wonderful time with him! My grandpa missed Pearl Harbor too, but had to go in for the rescue/clean-up part. Those pictures brought back so many memories of when I went with my family, it truly is a remarkably beautiful piece of paradise. Love ya!
This has to be one of the best vacations I have ever seen. I totally am going to bug Mark if he ever has a chance to go to bring me along. I love how beautiful your pictures are and would not mind see 500+ of them.
We went to that church too. Looks like you guys had lots of fun! Beautiful pics!
Oh, I want to go to Hawaii so badly! Pretty much everyone I know has gone except me. Poo. It looks AMAZING!
awwww, so wonderful! Glad you two could get away!
For some reason the computer didn't shoe the pictures...but I loved all the type. I am glad you had such a great time!! I think I have heard of those shaved ice desserts. Maybe someday I will have to try one. :)
much needed I'm sure. loved the pictures.
Thanks for those awesome pics! I served my mission in Hawaii and had many wonderful experiences in the tabernacle there in Honolulu. I was in Laie zone for 3 months and had an amazing time there too. Looks like you did most of the fun stuff. I am so glad you guys got to go.
Matt
love the pictures!
Can I come over soon to visit? I want your help with something, a picture thing.
What an amazing trip!!! I am so glad you got to do that with your hubby!! You NEED that time alone!!! Your pictures are incredible!!!
Aaah, looks so nice. Congrats to Ryan on his paper! That's awesome!
there's a shaved ice place in mesa that puts a scoop of french vanilla in the bottom of the cup before they top it with ice and syrup... It's called a Bahama Rama Mama. Boy do you feel like an idiot ordering it, but it's SSSOOOO good.
Post a Comment