Ayden's face says it all. It was 8:30pm and we had just started to put up 120 lbs of fresh chicken. 120 lbs!! I planned on bottling some and freezing some. Ayden stayed up until I put the first batch in the pressure canner. I didn't get to bed until 2am and I had only gotten two batches done in the canner. I had four more to go. It takes almost 2+ hrs. per batch. I had all the jars ready I just needed to process them but it was way past my bed time already. I was DONE. So I put the rest of the jars in a warm oven and spent the next day babysitting my pressure canner. 7am to 7pm!! We spent so much time together I really should have given her a name!!! I got four dozen jars and a plethora of bags of chicken in the freezer. It was worth it, I just wish I could have started a little earlier in the day. I also enjoyed teaching my oldest a little bit of canning. A worthwhile skill I think, even for boys!!



4 comments:
Ooooh I just learned about canning chicken and I am SOLD! i LOVE it...even if it does look like a weird science experiement in a jar. Last month I bought chicken by the case and also canned and froze some. NOT 120lbs though! Crazy! But it sure feels good when all those jars are lined up and processed. Do you have any favorite recipes you like to use with your chicken???
I love having canned chicken on hand. It cuts meal time in half, and since I hardly ever thing about dinner before 4:00, it comes in handy for us!
Way to go! You are awesome. By the way I opened up some pancake mix the other day that we had canned together and I thought of you! Glad to have food storage at this time in our lives! You are so smart to be saving it for later! Barry was saying the other day that he misses sitting behind or in front of you guys at church, and I feel the same way!
Where are you when i need you??? ;))
xoxoxo.
Post a Comment