07 June 2013

{The Battleground}


If you ever get to go see Gettysburg, I would recommend buying the audio vehicle tour to tour the battlefield.  It is dramatized and I thought a good rendition of what those three days at Gettysburg were like.  After we spent some time at the Spangler farm we headed out to drive around the battlefield.  The tape originally said it would take us 90 minutes to do the whole tour.  Well double that and it was pretty accurate.  There are over 1300 monuments on the battlefield itself.  No I didn't take pictures of each and everyone but we stopped at a good many of them.  I did get a few pictures of the battlefield areas, some of the more important parts such as Devil's Cave, Little Roundtop, the Peach Orchard, ect.  There were over 100,000 soldiers fighting at Gettysburg between the North and the South.  After the three day battle there were 57,225 that were casualties.  So imagine as you look out over the fields the chaos and death that would have been witnessed there.  I am always amazed at the feelings I have as I walk around these places.  I am so thankful that my children get the chance to learn about sacrifice for freedom and to learn to respect those that serve today.  It is always a sacred experience for me.
















We stopped at the Gettysburg National Military Cemetery on Memorial Day.  Seemed fitting.  As we walked through the gates a feeling seemed to wash over us and we became quieter, more reverent.  Just like when we visited Arlington, those feelings of gratitude to those that gave all for our freedom was present.  As we neared the end of the loop that you walk through the cemetery, Ryan said he was done. I think it hits a little close to home for him, being a soldier.  I know I am grateful for him and his willingness to serve our country.
It was a wonderful weekend and we talk about going back to see more.  It is definitely a must see if you are ever on the East coast.












1 comment:

Mom (aka Grandma) said...

And we are so thankful for both of you! It is the soldier who fights and the spouse who supports: we feel blessed by your sacrifice as well those who gave all. Love you guys!