11 January 2009

A week in Review

Ryan says I need to update the blog, he needs something new to read. He is in North Carolina on a rotation at Ft. Bragg for the month so I guess I'll be a good wife and do what I am told!!

Well we have had an eventful week I guess. Normal everyday stuff but stuff nonetheless. I guess I'll start with....

Sunday: We took Ryan to the airport at 4AM, yes 4 in the morning. He had to catch his flight to North Carolina. So while I got the kids up, made them all go potty and get jackets on, Ryan was out scrapping the van off and warming up the car. After a few minutes Ayden comes in and says "Dad broke off the door handle"!! Great- it had frozen overnight and our door handle on the driver side slider didn't like the cold all that well I guess. Funny though the passenger side slider door was also frozen shut and we couldn't get in that side either. So we shuttled the kids through the front. Whew, that was a lot of work for that early in the morning. An hour up to SeaTac and an hour home, it was 6 AM when we get home. To top the day off, we switched our meeting time for church to 9AM. The kids came home and kinda napped on the couch but at 6:30 they were up and ready for breakfast. I prayed that church would go smooth, since I was by myself and very outnumbered. The kids did ok and they were excited to change into their new classes.

Monday: Back to school! Can I get a Halleluja!!! I was ready and so were the kids to get back to their routine. It happened to be a pretty quiet day with just Lauryn, Wyatt and I at home in the afternoon. We had a good FHE, and started reading out of the new Book of Mormon for Latter-Day Saint families that my parents gave us for Christmas. Ayden loves reading the definitions, and the kids love looking at all the pictures. It just might allow me to hold their attention for longer than 30 seconds!!

Tuesday: Nothing special really about Tuesday. Ryan finally made it to North Carolina. His connecting flight on Sunday in Atlanta was cancelled and they couldn't get him out until Tuesday afternoon. So he was stuck there with no luggage of any kind for two days. He made the most of it and went to tour Turner Field, the home of the Atlanta Braves. Which by the way happens to be "his team". He loved the tour as he was the only person at that time slot. He had his own personal tour guide. He really had fun, but was bummed because he didn't have a camera to take pictures with. Darn it!! It also started to rain in the evening....the beginning of a lot of rain.

Wednesday:


A day at the doctors!! Meysa and Wyatt had their checkups, 5yrs. and 4 months respectively. Lauryn got to tag along just for fun. We love our Pediatrician at Madigan. He basically told us that Wyatt is short and fat. He is in the 50th percential for height and the 93rd for weight. He tops out at a whopping 18lbs. 12 oz. He is perfect in my book, and the doc thinks so too. He is just so much fun to munch on. He is LOVING the baby cereal now. He is opening up his mouth when the spoon gets close and he isn't spitting it back out. Meysa is doing well too, just right on for everything she should be doing. Not that we were even worried!! Meysa was happy that she didn't need to get shots like Wyatt. She and Lauryn did the get the flu mist up their noses and I am not sure what they thought about that!!
What's that song, "the rains came down and the floods came up"? Yeah that is what started to happen on Wednesday. For some really neat reason our sliding door doesn't drain the water right so the track on the INSIDE of the house gets full of water and then floods INTO my house. It rained hard for two and half days straight. Needless to say my carpets got wet, even with me sopping up the water with towels inside the track. They are still drying out and it stopped raining on Thursday.

Speaking of Thursday:

When we bought our house almost a year ago we had no idea we bought Lake Front property. Who knew!! I guess it is only lake front during "special" times of the year though!! This is what this area was intended for, so the homes in the neighborhood wouldn't flood. It was actually quite a bit higher than when I took this picture. I don't remember what day it was but in a 24hr period we got 8 1/2 inches of rain. Total probably 12-18 inches. Crazy. Ayden found it really fun to throw rocks over the fence and watch them splash. This morning we saw a family of ducks swimming around, the kids thought that was fun!! I can't complain though, there was a lot of flooding that happened not too far from me. School was delayed two hours because of flooded roads and such!! The road right behind our house was closed for most of Thurday.

I guess that brings us to Friday: Right before Christmas the check engine light in the van came on and so with the door handle needing replaced now too I made an appointment at the Honda dealership to get both taken care of. Meysa doesn't have school on Friday so I had all three of the younger kids with me. Which is always fun at a dealership, right. Actually they had a fun little play area that we took over and the girls did really well for sitting there for two hours. And after two hours they told me I needed a new one of these...


Thankfully there was three months left on our transmission warranty so we don't have to pay for a thing. Well I guess we have to pay a few HUNDRED dollars to have the door handle replaced. But again I can't complain. I don't really have the money in my budget to replace a transmission. So we have a loaner car. It is a 2009 Dodge Journey. Absolutely no room. It is a 7 passenger vehicle, but it really doesn't comfortably seat 7. Ayden and Meysa are eating the middle seat from their seat in the very back. I can put maybe three bags of groceries in the storage area, but hey it will be fun for the next week!!
And to Saturday: "Saturday is a special day, it's the day we get ready for Sunday". Especially when you are on your own for 9 0'clock church. I have been doing laundry and cleaning house. The kids all got baths tonight which was good. Earlier today they decided to engineer their very own man-made flood.
All you need is a lot of dirt, a hole in the ground and lots of water that collected in the empty sandbox. Good thing we haven't done anything to our yard yet. I let them have their fun, and then stripped them down before they came in the house. After their baths we watched "A Bee Movie", which was cute. Probably not my fav, but alright.

And we start it all over again tomorrow. So here is a recap of our week....up too early, broken door handle, no Dad, rain, shots, fat baby, rain, wet carpets, a few bad words uttered about said wet carpets, lake front property, did I say rain, new transmission, dirty kids, all in bed. Good night!!!

15 comments:

*Katie May* said...

wow crazy week :) That great you still had a warranty!!

M & S Eagar said...

Oh the life of a mother. It's bittersweet to say the least. Hang in there Aimee!

Mom (aka Grandma) said...

This is when I really do wish we lived within a few dozen miles rather than 100s! It will be fun to see you next weekend! Hang in there!

Sylwia said...

sounds like an eventful week. two of my door handles broke off too. a hundred bucks each to fix! luckily one of our friends put on one of them so we save a hundred...

i guess i need to count my blessing for the weather in georgia! sorry about your flood...

sylwia

Frasier Family said...

Oh Aimee...what a week! And no husband at home to help out. I often think of you and what an amazing person (mother, wife and friend) you are.

Erica said...

What a week you've had, and even better, Ryan is gone so you get to do it on your own! I've been wondering if the flooding was effecting you guys or not, hopefully you don't get rain again for a while!

The Grandy's said...

I hate the first weekend of the month because I have to wrestle my kids by myself through church. Then Caleb and I were asked to speak in sacrament, do sharing time in primary, and teach a lesson on the same week. I complained to my mom and she said when I was two her and my dad were asked to speak in Camp Verde. She happened to have Wade and Nanette's kids too. My dad got strep so he dropped her off at church with all the kids and he went to the hospital to get medication. She had to speak for 40 minutes by herself with 8 kids all under the age of 8. She said she got two minutes into her talk when Raynie and Colton started running up and down the stairs. Then a couple minutes after that I climbed onto the piano and started shaking my bum, dancing for the ward. I just laughed and said I'll stop complaining. Not that I think you're complaining, I just think it's a funny story.

Teresa / Andy said...

Quite the lake you've got there! Very glad it didn't make it into your back yard.
If you want to ship a kid or two this way, I'll take 'em!
Andy's gone all of next week, and if it weren't for school, I'd be VERY tempted to come play nanny for the week :)
Good luck with the rest of the month!

Ryan, if you read the comments, we hope the rotation is going well over there. VERY cool you got to tour Turner Field!!

Dawn said...

I think Nik's story is hilarious. I was probably sitting on the bench, quietly giggling at Nikki shakin' her booty. I just love weeks like that. It seems that when tom is gone, i can get away with mac n cheese and nobody cares. I do become the mean mom and send everyone to bed at 7 though, good luck, hope the month goes by quickly for you!

Dawn said...

I'm a little sad for you about the car though, thank goodness for warranties! Mine is currently going into cardiac arrest. I'm trying to decide whether I should put 3000 bucks into it, or just put that 3000 buck down on a new car!!

RR said...

Wyatt weighs the same as Olivia but I don't trust those charts anyway. I need to come see you asap. I'm the worlds worst visiting teacher. See you soon. Rachel

Alison said...

It think it is an epidemic! I am sorry you had a crazy week. I hate those. Hopefully, thing will settle down soon :)

Angela said...

I'm sitting here sympathizing. I am so sympathizing. Sympathizing so much I'm empathizing and can't talk about it. Except for the part about the pouring rain, unless we're speaking figuratively.

Heather said...

I can't believe you are able to do all of that in a week. Especially without your husband. You are a super woman!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow... I'd be dead after a week like that. One tough woman you are. I always hate it when Dave is out of town. I can garantee that those will be the times everything happens for me to deal with!

Ang