30 March 2009

Automatic

Wow has it really been two weeks since I last posted. I don't know where those weeks went, I don't even remember doing anything neat!! I guess that makes sense as to why I haven't posted anything huh. Well there should be some things to post about shortly, namely our yard that is being ripped out at this very moment, Ayden has his season opener for baseball this coming Saturday, Spring break is next week (we get to put the yard back together and gut the garage-yeah for us). In the meantime I thought I would share kind of a funny conversation that I had with the kiddos yesterday.

It started on the way home from church-we were following our neighbors home and the kids recognized that it was their car because of the "H" (for Honda) on the back and it is blue. Then they started to lament the fact that our van didn't have "automatic" doors like their friends van did. This is how it went down....

Meysa: Mom why didn't you buy a car with automatic doors like Marlee's mom did?
Ayden: Yeah Mom why?
Mom: Well because when we bought the van-we couldn't afford one that had automatic doors.
Meysa: Mom can you sell cars?
Mom: Yes you can sell cars.
Meysa: Then lets sell this car and buy a new one with automatic doors.
Mom: No, we aren't going to sell the van. It is just fine with no automatic doors and besides that it is paid for.
Ayden: But what if the car was broken and we couldn't fix it?
Mom: If we really couldn't fix it then maybe we would have to get a new car.
Ayden: Then we could get a better car with automatic doors.
Mom: This car is a nice car and it is good for you to have to open and close your own doors.

There was some more lamenting from the back seat and how much better their lives would be if they didn't have to open their own doors. It would be so much better to be able to just hit a button or pull on the handle and it would do the rest for you.
Then I pulled a move that every parent inevitably does and it makes them sound like their parents-which we swore we never would. I said "Well if you like we could have no car and then you would have to walk everywhere yourself. Be grateful that you have a car at all even if you are abused and have to open your own door. They looked at me and thought for a minute and then ended the conversation with "it would still be nice to have automatic doors!"

I guess there is always going to be something to wish for like automatic doors, but thankfully my kids get to open and shut their own doors as of right now. Nothing like making your kids put in a little manual labor. It is good for them, it will put hair on their chests!! I mean heck when I was a kid I had to walk 5 miles to school, uphill both ways and it was always snowing.

10 comments:

M & S Eagar said...

Oh Aimee I love it! I've had the exact same conversation with Emma and Brady. Besides, now that our kids are big enough to open and close the doors themselves who needs the fancy gadgets? Plus, I love not having a car payment!

*Katie May* said...

ha ha that's great!

Heather said...

:) i would trade in that blue "SCRATCHED ON THE SIDE" van with automatic doors for no car payment anyday..... but if you ever want to trade yours in you know where to pick up a blue "H" van!!! ;)

love ya

Colton said...

Just what you need...a five year old daughter with a hairy chest.

When that conversation was wrapping up, I was thinking...they are conspiring to destroy the van.

I realize that is just my warped mind.

*junkrestore* said...

I feel your kids pain. I wish someone would come right now and run a bath for me and feed me ice cream and massage my feet. Ha.

Jodi said...

Be thankful you have to open your doors manually. We have an automatic door on our van that only works half the time...and when it's not working it's extremely hard to open and close by hand...and of course it would cost a million bucks to fix so we're stuck with a sometimes working door...Ugg!! And also, we are still paying for the pile o' crap!

Odd Family said...

Hey Amy! I am totally stocking you!;) I think you are so funny! Isn't it funny to think that our kids think its a real bummer that they actually have to open their own doors. What a world we live in today!:) Funny!

Sariah,Chief Editor said...

You forgot the bare feet! Too funny, my kids have felt deprived before too because ours are not automatic. Oh Well...Whitley is lamenting the fact that we are going to be buying a big huge van like Amber's. She is sooo embarassed!! Mason wants to paint it pink, I am sure that would help it not stand out too much eh! :)

KIDS!! :)

mwalker said...

Kids..It's always something isn't it? There's always going to be something better. My favorite phrase is "feel free to buy one when you have enough money." That shuts them up quickly :)

Amber said...

PRICELESS!!!!!