18 June 2010

{Pioneer Farms}

You can tell it is the end of the school year for our little tribe. We are having concerts and field trips and loads of used supplies are making their way home again. I got to go with Ayden this last Tuesday for his class field trip to the Pioneer Farms. It is a really great place that depicts life in the late 1880's for both settlers and Native Americans in this area. It is also all hands on. So when we went to the Indian village the guide explained the different things the Native Americans would be doing during the spring/summer, winter and fall seasons and the kids would get to play and touch and use all the stuff they had for that particular season. They each got to try making their own arrowhead and bracelets, ect. After we were at the Indian villages we made our way over to the Settlers portion of the farm. There we got to experience a barn full of animals crucial to settlers at that time. The kids got to milk a cow (so did I), play with the pigs, chickens, ducks ect. Next was the blacksmith shop where the kids got to work with a forge and a horse shoe. Then the woodworking shop where settlers would make or repair things in their homes and on the farm. Then we got to go and see the home and cook, clean and even shave like the old settlers did. To end the trip we all got a quick wagon ride from Jack the local horse. I think I would actually like to take the rest of my family to experience it all. I love that it was all hands on and the kids got to do a ton of things. Ayden loved it and so did I!! I have to say a huge thanks to Abby, my niece, for watching the other rugrats for me so I could spend the day with Ayden!!!







5 comments:

Coleman Family said...

What a good experience! wow! I remember going to something like that in grade school and thinking I was so lucky to live right now! Where is this place anyways?

Heather said...

looks like a fun day & love the pictures~

Mom (aka Grandma) said...

Love catching up on the blog - and loved seeing you yesterday! They are growing up TOO fast - tell them to slow down!

Anonymous said...

You have a lot of people on your list of friends and family. That would take up a week to check all of them;)

Love your pictures! Enjoy your summer. Is it warm there yet?

Dawn said...

Fun! we have something similar, it is visited at the end of second grade. Makes me sooo very thankful I wasn't a pioneer!!