02 June 2012

{Can you hear me now?}

I am sure those of you who are parents have said a time or two (or twenty), "I just wish my kids would listen to me!!!"  I know I have, at least several times....a day!!  With my youngest child I thought he was taking it to the extreme.  Not only was he not listening to me he was constantly asking me to repeat myself!!  Talk about exhausting and liable to send me to the loony bin!!  Finally I asked myself, I wonder if he can't really hear.  Is that why he is always asking me to repeat myself, or is he just not paying me any attention?  After paying real careful attention to when he was struggling to hear I realized he really probably couldn't hear.  He struggled to hear when we were in the car with all the kids talking, or if I wasn't looking directly at him so he could read my lips.  Ryan and I also noticed that after a fever (which he had a few) his hearing would become worse where he would talk louder, want the tv volume up louder ect.  So I decided that it most likely wasn't my parenting skills (which by the way made me feel so much better) but that he may have a hearing problem.  So a few months ago I got him in to the Dr. for a hearing test.  He failed it!!  Not surprising but only validated my intuition about there being a real problem.  While performing the hearing test, they initially test to see how much the ear drum moves.  In a healthy ear it is suppose to look like a bell curve on a graph, Wyatt's was a flat line.  His eardrum wasn't moving at all.  The most likely of causes was fluid in the middle ear that wasn't draining on it's own.  What is so curious to me was that he had never been diagnosed with an ear infection, ever.  But nonetheless that was essentially what his problem was.  The ENT and audiologist wanted to repeat the audiogram in two months to see if the fluid would resolve itself or not.  So two months later we had another test and he failed that one too.  Still a flat line on the tympanogram.  Tubes were in this little man's near future.  The ears were only one part of our little man's problems.  He snored...a lot, enough that we called him Darth Wyatt!!  He didn't really have sleep apnea where he would stop breathing per say but he would snore and kind of have a catch in his breathing.  So the Dr felt like he needed his tonsils and adenoids out as well.  

This morning was the big day for our little Wyatt!!  He is one smart cookie and he knew that he couldn't hear well and we had discussed what was going to happen today.  The one part that I worried the most about was him getting his IV.  Thankfully the nurses and staff are so smart and didn't give him his IV until he was asleep.  We got to the hospital early this morning and got checked in, getting vitals, bracelets, consents, ect. all lined up.  The nursing staff loved Wyatt, they thought he was such a cute kid.  He was a little tired when we got there but as he woke up then his personality came out a little.  I was worried about him having a fit too about not getting to eat but thankfully there was enough going on around him that he didn't even mention it until right before he went back to the OR.  He wanted to make sure he was going to get his popsicle that I had promised him.


The really nice thing that the staff did was allow me to take him back to the OR and stay with him until he was asleep.  It was going to be traumatic enough to wake up in a place he didn't know and with people he didn't know, I was thankful they did it that way.  So I got gowned up and walked back to the OR with Wyatt and the nurse and was there to reassure Wyatt when he laid on the table and was breathing through the mask until he feel asleep.  It really went well.  He didn't even fight the mask.  Then Ryan and I got breakfast from the cafeteria while we waited for the surgery to get done.


We anxiously awaited the Dr. coming to tell us everything went alright.  Which he did of course!!  He said that Wyatt absolutely needed tubes as there was fluid present in his ears at the time of surgery.  He also said that it had been somewhat of a chronic thing too from the looks of his ear drums.  He called his ear infections silent otitis, ones that don't present themselves with fevers and an ear ache.  He also said that his adenoid tissue was substantial and no wonder the kid couldn't breath through his nose.  He said he should be able to breath much better now that his adenoids were gone plus it would help with his ears being able to drain properly on their own.  His tonsils weren't huge but they were enlarged and so it was good to get them out as well.

We were then taken back to the recovery room, where we could hear Wyatt screaming from the hallway.  He wasn't so much crying as he was screaming because he was ticked.  He recognized our voices and then it still took him some time to calm down.  He didn't want the suction anywhere near his mouth and didn't want to be hooked up to anything.  They said he had done amazingly well but was mad that Mom and Dad weren't there when he woke up.  Plus I think he was still fighting some of the anesthesia.  The nurses monitored his vitals for a while and then moved us to the APU to finish discharging.  He fell asleep right before they moved us, so tired from his crazy morning.


They wanted him to be able to eat a popsicle and keep it down before they let us go.  We woke him up (kinda) and had him eat his popsicle.  He liked it and perked up quite a bit once he had that in his tummy.  After getting discharged and stopping by the pharmacy to get some good drugs, we headed home where he inhaled another few popsicles and got to watch Nick Jr.


We are so thankful that his surgery went well, that he was well taken care of (the nurses and Dr. were fantastic) and that he can hear now.  He has already said that his hearing is different and he can hear things that he couldn't have just yesterday.  We have to put antibiotic drops in his ears to clear the fluid that is there.  Other than that we just have to nurse a sore throat with lots of popsicles and mac-n-cheese (Dr.'s orders :)!!  He has been such a trooper and has reacted better than expected.  So thankful for modern medicine!!  Now his excuse for not listening to me can't be that he didn't hear me, it will be because he is not paying attention to me!!  Love you Wyman!!


7 comments:

*Katie May* said...

kiley has the exact same problem. i wanted it taken care of when she was 7 and get everything taken out and tubes but the dr said her tonsils were fine and only did tubes that took out all the old fluid causing her hearing loss. i should have pushed it and we wouldn't be in the same boat 3 years later of her hearing gone again. Glad things went well any kind of surgery is scarey.

Heitmann Family said...

Oh that is no fun Katie!! Wyatt's Dr. said that tubes are really only a temporary fix especially for hearing loss (usually kids grow out of needing the tubes so they do them to get the kids to that point). Taking out the adenoids is fixing more of the root of the problem, which totally made sense in Wyatt's case! Hope all goes well for Miss Kiley and that this time it fixes the problem for good. That is what we are hoping for Wyatt.

Heather said...

Glad all went well!!!! Love him!!!! Xoxo
Wish I could send over a box of Popsicles! :(

The Willis Wonder Years said...

Oh my gosh!! Poor baby!! I hope he has a fast and easy recovery!

Frasier Family said...

Wow...that's kinda scary! I'm so glad that everything went ok. Wyatt will probably be "milking" his Dr's orders for popsicles and mac & cheese for a while...who wouldn't? :)

Colton said...

Wow. I'm glad little Wy-man is doing better, that sounds super lame!

RR said...

so sad but a good age for surgery. I got my tonsils out acouple years back and it was torture!