22 October 2012

{Outdoor Ed}

 I am not sure how I am truly handling this thing called Middle School.  Everything has been fine, good really.  I just have this mental block that my child surely can't be old enough to be in middle school.  With the rate at which I find grey hairs you would believe that he is that old but my brain just can't wrap my head around it all.  This morning I dropped him off at school all prepared to head out for Outdoor Ed.  Outdoor Education is a 2 1/2 day program just for sixth graders.  It is the highlight of the year and Ayden has been looking forward to this week since before school even started for the year.  They stay at a wilderness retreat about an hour from here and learn everything from geo-caching to acting out the predator-prey cycle.

We got him checked in this morning, noting which bus he was going to ride on and where to drop off his one piece of luggage and sleeping bag. It was time for him to get with his group and I noticed there was not any hesitation at all coming from Ayden.  I realized he was waiting for me to turn around and leave and that he didn't need me to hang around and wait.  So I said the usual last minute nagging mom sayings like, "mind your manners", "remember who you are", "brush your teeth", which only got me last minute eye rolls. He has heard them a hundred times before ya know!!  I on the other hand was a little bit nervous letting him go.  Other than the occasional sleep over with cousins at Grandma's house when we have been visiting, or the scout camp outs that he has gone on with his Dad, he hasn't slept overnight anywhere, ever.  That has been on purpose, our family doesn't do sleepovers.  So I was interested in how he was going to do with being gone for two nights, by himself.  His behavior made it very clear that he had this covered!!

As I turned to head to the car and Ayden nearly ran back to the school to get with his group, I felt like I had been slapped right across the face.  I realized in an instant that he was a capable young man who didn't need his mama to hang around and hold his hand!!  What?  Since when?!  He didn't even look back.  Not once!!  But almost as quick as that realization hit me I was hit with another slap, gentler though this time.  I realized that this is exactly what I wanted for my son.  I wanted him to be self-assured and confident.  I didn't want to have to hold his hand and reassure him constantly.  I didn't want him to be afraid of the unknown and I wanted him to enjoy and look forward to an adventure!!  Well that is what I have!!  A self-assured, confident kid who can't wait to experience Outdoor Education.  I am thankful that Ayden is who he is.  I hope he has an amazing time and that he at least remembers to brush his teeth every night!  Oh yeah and to remember who he is, that's an important one too!!



1 comment:

Mom (aka Grandma) said...

Yay, Ayden!!! Hope you had a wonderful time!