It is that time of year again when we get to gut and carve pumpkins. Last year for some reason we didn't do pumpkins. I didn't even decorate for Halloween. No idea why, it apparently wasn't on my to-do list. The kids realized a few days after Halloween that we hadn't done our pumpkins and they were sad, so I had to promise that we wouldn't forget this year. Let it be known I kept my promise. We picked up two pumpkins at Target while we were stocking up on batteries for the fun storm coming our way.
In years past, the kids carving pumpkins actually meant that Ryan and I gutted and carved pumpkins and the kids got to take pictures with them when they were done. Ryan would hack away with our severely dull knives and pray out loud that he wouldn't cut his finger off. I would be in charge of getting all the gunk out from the inside, basically slimming myself clear up to my armpit. This year Ryan and I got smart, we got a carving kit that had patterns and those handy little carving knives. I guess in addition to our brilliance, the kids are finally old enough to use said pumpkin kit (with a little help) to carve their own pumpkins. I felt lazy this year, what with my clean armpit and everything.
My job this year actually happened to be Hot Chocolate. Caramel Hot Chocolate to be exact. It was heaven in a mug I tell ya. I made the caramel sauce myself and then made the hot chocolate from chocolate ganache and milk. Of course I had to make real whipped cream to go on top, we couldn't go without that!! It probably wasn't light on calories but oh man, when Ryan and I had both tried it we looked at each other with that "oh-my-gravy-this-is-to-die-for-I-can't-believe-we-shared-it-with-the-kids" kinda look. It made the night what it was. For me anyway :)!
The kids finished carving their pumpkins, one for the girls and one for the boys. They were so excited to get them outside and get them lit up. I guess our brilliance ran out because we couldn't find our bag of like 500 tea lights that we always use for our pumpkins. We searched and searched and to no avail. Ryan kipped the two little tea lights that smell like cinnamon nutmeg from the little candle holder that sits on our piano. Hey a tea light is a tea light! I am not sure what we will do when those puppies burn out. Perhaps we won't have to worry about it. Halloween looks like it may be cancelled around these parts this year. Hurricane Sandy is such a party pooper and no one even invited her!! We will keep ya posted on how it all goes.









1 comment:
Awesome! Yummy drinks too!
Post a Comment