14 May 2012

{Look what I can do}

Lauryn has graduated from little kid bike to Big kid bike.  I tried a new tactic with Lauryn who isn't easily convinced to try something she hasn't already decided she wants to do herself.  I threatened and then I bribed.  Yup you read that right, I don't know why more parents don't use those skills.  It worked like magic I tell ya!!  (please read this with the sarcasm I wrote it with)  I first threatened  Lauryn witha tale about the Training wheel fairy who comes to take the training wheels off bikes when she sees that you are ready ride with out them.   So I told her to be prepared to wake up one morning to no training wheels.  Then I bribed her and told her that if she decided to take her training wheels off and then learned to ride without them she could get ice cream with just Mom (this whole thing worked for Meysa too, maybe I should patent it).  The first day it didn't work so well, she was still sure that she wasn't ready.  She wanted a few more days to practice!!
 Well the very next day she was out "practicing" after school and then decided that she was ready.  I realized you just need to let the threat/bribe simmer for day or so and they will come around!!  
 Ryan and Ayden were her pit crew, taking off the training wheels and pumping up the tires.  Making sure everything was good to go for the maiden voyage.  Lauryn had a few "concerns" about riding a bike with no training wheels.  One of the many, was that she wouldn't know how to start without someone holding the bike up for her.  Well that concern took about 1.2 seconds to work itself out.  She sat on the bike, Dad held the seat (which was a request) and then she took off.  Ryan didn't have to run along side her or hold the bike up while she got going.
 She was pretty darn proud of herself as you can see.  
 She was happiest about outsmarting the Training wheel fairy.  She said several times that she beat the fairy to the punch.  Haha take that training wheel fairy, you can't get the best of this little chicka!!
 Before we know it we will bribing and threatening this little guy too!!
 But wouldn't ya know it, there was a crash and someone wasn't happy about it.  She thought her Daddy was laughing at her (which he may or may not have been, not to be mean but because that of course was another of her "concerns") and she wasn't going to smile no matter how hard we tried to get her to.
This is as good as it got.  Until she realized that she earned her ice cream with Mom.  That changed her whole perspective pretty quick!!  We headed out to Chick Fil A to enjoy an ice cream cone and a good chat!  We are so proud of our Lauryn and her determination to take on this world on her own terms!!

5 comments:

The Willis Wonder Years said...

Good for her! I love the pic of her little face where she is clapping you a high five! And look at Mr Wyatt on the scooter! Time goes way too fast! Your kiddos are all grown up!

Heather said...

#1 love the whole training wheel fairy! briliant
#2 love the high five picture too
#3 don't ever mention that you have a chick.fil.a. ever again:)))

with this said we have an almost 5 year old who is petrified of his bike... any ideas on this one?? training wheel fairies are not an option! :)

Colton said...

Oh my gosh, I want to go to Chick Fil-A so badly right now.

I wouldn't have worried about it. I would just wait until her friends and siblings make fun of her enough to motivate her. And that is why I'm getting a vasectome for Christmas.

Mom (aka Grandma) said...

Yay for Lauryn! What a great accomplishment. It will be fun to watch Wyatt next!!!

RR said...

Nice work Lauryn! We miss you! Boy, I love your fam photos!