The next night after chores were done my Dad heard some crying, like from a kitten and he went out with a flashlight to search for what it was. He had noticed that for about three days the cat food hadn't been eaten on. Well come to find out the mama cat was gone but had left four little kittens. It isn't unusual to loose a cat to a coyote, we think that is what happened to the mama. Regardless of what happened we had four babies that needed fed. Of course the kids were in heaven with these kittens, especially Meysa. She is a natural mama and these kittens needed taken care of, so she jumped at the chance. We tried letting them lap up milk by themselves but they weren't getting enough that way so my Mom took to feeding them by syringe. Meysa loved watching her feed these babies.
They were sweet little guys.


The Saturday before we left to come home to Washington Papa Chip and Uncle Aaron took, Ayden, Meysa, Jaci and Quian fishing at Mann's Lake. A couple of days before that Ayden and Quian went and found a jar full of grasshoppers. Ayden was really excited to go but we told him he needed to be able to bait his own hook. Did I mention that Ayden has a thing about touching stuff. Especially stuff that can MOVE on it's own. Well he wasn't sure about having to handle a grasshopper in order to bait his own hook. It took Aaron about a half and hour to work Ayden into holding a grasshopper. He started by having Ayden touch the wings, then the back legs, then front legs. You get the idea. Finally he held a grasshopper for 10 seconds and didn't freak out. He asked if we could just use worms, so I asked him if he would touch them instead, he said no!! I think this kid appreciates the invention of gloves. If he doesn't have to touch them with his skin he is ok!!
Meysa was Papa's fishing fool. He said every cast but one she caught something. She reeled it in all by herself and really had a lot of fun. Ayden learned a very valuable lesson about fishing. You have to WAIT for a while once you cast out your line, or you won't catch anything!!! Finally on his last cast he WAITED like Papa said he needed to and he caught his one and only fish of the day. Sometimes it pays to listen to Papa!!
4 comments:
This is a classic post. Seriously takes me back to my childhood. I remember hatching out chickens and being scared of angry hens while collecting eggs and bottle-feeding kittens. And of course fishing. We used to wade out into Black River up to our necks to catch a big smallmouth. Crazy fun times.
I love this post. It makes me wish that my mom and dad still had all of those animals around, so my kids can experience it. Oh well, I'll take what I can get. And i'm with Aiden. I like gloves.
How fun! That kitten that is looking at the camera is soo cute! Love the Ayden stories
i wish my kids had grandparents who have chickens, kittens, cows, etc. that's just awesome! I'm jealous!
Post a Comment