12 April 2010

{Are we done yet?}

Well good morning to you!! Just as we were getting to the floors, my sister Airica and her family arrived at our house, stopping on their way to Alaska!! They arrived late Tuesday night and left promptly Wednesday morning to go unload their moving truck and my dad's trailer into a shipping container in Seattle. It was crazy busy around our house, let me tell you!! When they got back though we had tons of help putting down our floor. They hung out with us on Thursday too and we got a lot done. We also found someone who has bed head just about as good as Lauryn. Meet our newest cousin Tayja, straight from Haiti!! They look like they are related don't they? Well at least their hair does!!
Ayden was right in the middle of all this construction. He was like a moth to a flame when it came to the tools and getting to operate or apply anything. He actually was a big help in laying the tile.
We chose to go with a vinyl tile and we love it. It was so easy to install and it looks great and it was easy on the checkbook too.
It was so easy that everyone got to help put down a square or two. It was nice not having to worry about the thin set and then grouting it. Just peel and stick!! This is Titus, he was so cute about helping. He just jumped right in there and started working.
Tayja helped too, I think she ended up finishing off the dining room for us. It was fun getting to interact with these kids. It was the first time I had met them (they have only been in the states for a little over a month). Titus gave me the biggest hug right out of the car. He is a sweet boy!!
Once the floor was down it was perfect for the kids to whip out some dance moves. Lauryn and Wyatt especially liked playing with Tayja.
Until Wyatt fell off of his tower.
My brother in law Travis and Dad would measure and cut and then we would peel and stick. It was a good system.
Dining room all done. It is so nice to eat in here and not worry about the kids spilling and ruining the carpet worse than it already was.
The kitchen floor went down quickly too. It took a little longer just because we had to cut around the cabinets and appliances.
Ryan finished tiling the back splash. I love it. It looks even better with the grout in place. I need to take a picture of it done!!
We had some laminate leftover so we redid the counter in the half bath and put up a tile back splash too. It matches the kitchen now and looks really nice. Wyatt again had to be wherever Papa and the tools were. He couldn't get enough of all the manly stuff.

Friday came and it was time for Airica and her tribe to head up to Bellingham to catch the ferry!! You may think it strange for us to be taking a picture in front of an old horse trailer. Well this horse trailer has been all over kingdom come in it's lifetime. This is what we moved in as a kid and it has moved pretty much all of us kids once we have been married. It is like a rite of passage to have your household belongings be hauled by this brown trailer. It seemed fitting to document that fact with Airica's family!! I am so glad they got to stop over at my house and that I got to see them off on their newest adventure. It was also nice to have some extra hands for all the work that needed to be done. Thanks guys!!

With Airica's family leaving I think our week of construction was complete. There were a few odds and ends that we took care of on Friday and then my parents left bright and early Saturday morning. We couldn't have done it all without their help. It is great to have family willing to help with such projects!!

It feels good to finally have that post done. Now onto Spring break.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I love everything you did with the house! I was telling Jeff on the phone the other day that I wished I could have some Finch's come do some home improvement projects at my house! We Seipert's did not get the "handy" gene! I could think of a few projects for Amber to help me with when she is here in August, but I think she wants to be "on vacation". Darn it! lol