18 April 2010

{Baseball has Begun}

Another year of baseball has begun for Ayden. We are happy to report that he has improved on his hitting, throwing and catching. We are even more happy to report that he actually pays attention to what is going on in the game. We have yet to have Star Wars battles in the outfield and there hasn't been any playing in the dirt or rocks. The season is a success already!! Another change for this year is we are not the Cardinals again. We get to be the Colorado Rockies!! He also has a new coach that is really good about drilling these boys on where the next play is and where they need to run when a ball is hit. Two very key elements in winning a ball game.
In Ayden's first game this last week he got to start the game at first base. He was able to catch a fly ball for an out and also tag a runner out at first. He was stoked. I tell ya it is amazing what a year of growth can do for a kids' coordination and ability.
He went 3 for 3 at the plate and was pleased about that. He would be happy to be the designated hitter for the whole team if they would let him.
He can be such a poser already. Heaven help me!!
Then he trips at first base and lands on his kiester and all the showboating kinda goes up in smoke. I love the look on his coaches face!! Like, "What in tarnation are you doing on the ground kid? Get on the bag!!"
But at least he is safe and can live until another out!!

How about that he actually made it to third without tripping again. He is having so much fun this year. He is also gotten into watching major league games with his Dad and that has been fun to watch them discuss the complexity of baseball.

About a month ago Ryan had a Monday off so he decided to take Ayden out of school early one day to go and watch his alma mater LCSC play St. Martin's. Adyen was so excited as you can imagine to get to ditch school, hang out with just his Dad and to watch a baseball game. They came home and I asked Ayden how it was and he said good. Ryan prompted him with a "did anything else happen?". Ayden said, "oh yeah, I got to meet Dad's old coach (Ed Cheff) and he is gonna send me an LCSC Warriors shirt. He got my address and everything!!" Well when we got back from our spring break the package was here with a sweatshirt and two shirts. The girls got he t-shirts and Ayden got the sweatshirt. Coach Cheff also sent a note to Ayden wishing him the best of luck in his little league season and told him that his Dad was a great player and that he will be a great mentor to Ayden. I just thought that was a nice note to send and it made Ayden's day.

I think baseball is just in his blood!! I am already thinking of all the bleacher bum I am gonna have watching this kid play!!

5 comments:

Coleman Family said...

Way to go Ayden! He's becoming quite the baseball player! And what a nice coach Ryan had to offer and then remember to send the shirts and sweatshirt!

Mom (aka Grandma) said...

I'm so jealous of your bleacher bum!!! (greg isn't, though!) I miss those days with Ryan and love that you have those with Ayden. Hope to make up to a game soon! Give him a high five for me!

Sariah,Chief Editor said...

You got some awesome pics...go Ayden! I love all the photos from Grandma's too!

Frasier Family said...

Like father, like son. We ask Andren what he wants to play when he gets big...we'll say "soccer?", he''ll say "no", "baseball?" "no", "football?" "YEP!" Those boys wanna be just like their daddies! :)

*Katie May* said...

That's awesome. I have loved Kiley playing softball this year