I realize by posting about this I will appear to be an old decrepit, senile and out of touch woman, but I have to do it anyway. I am well aware of the technology that abounds in the world of today and most of it I use and use it well. I can pimp my blog, send/receive and attach documents to emails with the best of them and many other very savvy technological things. But I must confess I have never sent a TEXT message in my life. Ok I take that back. There was this one time my niece typed something for me and all I had to do was push send so she could show me how to do it. It was on her phone and I don't even think I know where to find the texting option on my phone. I don't even have texting on my cell phone plan (yes I do have a cell phone but only as of about four years ago). It isn't that I don't find texting neat or useful or sometimes really convenient. I just figure that if I have the time to text I have the time to talk and so I prefer to do it that way. Well I guess I find myself out of touch with how things are these days because of my lack of texting skills. For instance as I listen to my brother who just returned from his mission or my nieces and nephews talking about dating, I find that the dating scene is a whole new arena. Largely in part, I believe, to texting. I find myself sounding like an old person warning kids about the dangers of letting their texting skills do all the work that their interpersonal relationship skills should be doing. I have even had a couple of eye rolls and the "it's ok you are just too old to understand" looks from these youngsters. Like I said before I have no problem with texting but when kids text each other when they are sitting right next to each other or they text each other for hours on end instead of calling and talking to each other I see that as a problem. I recently just read a really funny and oh so appropriate blog post from a guy who talks about this very same thing. Dating and texting in today's world. He can write far better than I can so I will direct you to his blog and you can get a chuckle just like I did. The blog is called "The Craig Report", he is a father of six kids and a pretty hilarious writer. You can find his post here. So I would like to see what your take is on texting!! Are you a "I text all the time, way more fun", or a "Only occasionally, when I know I can't talk", or a "only in an absolute emergency will I" text kinda a person? Let me know where you stand!!!
P.S.
When I pushed spell check before I published this post, each and every time I used the word "texting" it highlighted it as misspelled and didn't give me any options for how it should be spelled. Maybe I didn't used the appropriate texting slang shortened version. I don't even have a clue as to what it might be!!! For heaven's sake I just learned what LOL meant like six months ago!!
8 comments:
funny! I actually just read somewhere that there is some disagreement over the proper use of the verb "text". Is the past tense texted? or text'd?
I'm all about texting when I can't talk, when I just need to announce something and need no response, or when my phone doesn't have enough service to make a call but can still send a text.
I just started texting when we got our new phone plan last December (because now it's free for us). It's nice to text Levi because he can't answer his phone at work, so he'll see the message at lunch or after work, but I don't text all that often. I find my older nieces and nephews (on Levi's side) text their friends about absolutely NOTHING!! I've even had one of them text me by accident instead of their friend, but luckily for him, he just said "what's up?" :)
I love texting for work purposes; it saves me SO much time and when I'm treating a patient, it doesn't interrupt my session. I just don't answer or read the texts very timely. It is a great minute saver as well; my phone plan is "old" and with very limited anytime minutes, texting often keeps me in touch with work stuff. My coworkers think it's funny it takes me so long to text back though!!!
Oh this made me laugh. I read the Craig Report and laughed even more. Too FUNNY! I DESPISED texting for a long time. If you are going to text me and ask how my day is, for the love of Pete, just call me. I don't want to take the time to reply, I often will just call the person instead. My old phone (a razor) was not so "text savy". Now I have a text friendly phone and I do use it a little more. Usually just between me and the hub. Are you coming home soon, call me, I think I am running away, we might be down one child by the time you get home...you know the basics! I do see it usefulness but what really gets under my skin is when I am talking with a friend face to face and she is texting someone else. COME ON!!! Anyway...no you know where I stand :)
Aimee,
I totally agree with you. What is all this texting crap?? I don't get it either. It takes me 5 minutes to type out a one-liner message so I VERY rarely use it. And if I do, some one just calls me back because they figure it is an emergency if I am texting. Humph. We must be in the "same" generation ;)
I have NEVER texted. I do not see it in my near future. My husband barely texts. He refused to get unlimited texting on his phone and so he would get ticked every time someone sent a text. I am sure I will enjoy it one day, but for now I need to just keep it simple. Wait a minute is texting more simple IDK. (I guess I do know a few abbreviations)
Ha! This was pretty funny, but I have to admit, I am a frequent texter. I do have rules though, in an effort to not lose the ability to spell, use punctuation or generally slaughter the English language. I'm a bit like Colton in this department, but I don't raz people about it. He's funny. I too just recently learned some of the acronyms to some phrases and it's just because people are lazy. I actually asked someone why they shortened and they said they were limited to so many characters in a text. Why someone would need to be connected to the internet on their hip is beyond me! So, I guess I'm just a little younger than you in the LOL/LMAO world!
That guy is so stinkin' funny! I have just spent the last 40 minutes reading/laughing.
Thanks again for having us we all had a great time!
Love,
Sariah
Post a Comment