My Dad is famous for saying, "I love it when a plan comes together!" Well I have to say it this time. Over a year ago my siblings and I started planning a surprise for my Mom's 60th birthday, which happens to be in July. Knowing that I would be moving somewhere this June we hatched up a plan to surprise my Mom when I came through Idaho on my way to where ever I was going to end up. My mom knew I was coming and going to stay a day in Lewiston, but what she didn't know was that we were going to have a few surprise guests as well. We timed every ones arrival into Lewiston to be at the same time and then we all arrived at my parent's home at the same time. We all drove up their hill together to make sure they didn't get tipped off to something going on.
Surprise #1- Tessa. My sister Airica came down out of Alaska to visit for several weeks and she had already been at my parent's home for a few weeks at this point. Tessa had just graduated from high school and had gone to visit a friend out east. My mom thought she knew where Tessa was....
Surprise #2- Aina. My other sister Aina, who lives in Alaska, flew down to be in on the fun too. My mom knew Aina had tried to come down so she could see me when I came through but it just didn't work out....or so she thought!!!
Surprise #3- Alan. My brother Alan lives in Portland and hadn't been home in three years. He is usually gallivanting around the globe or stuck in studio trying to finish his degree in architecture. I think my mom about fell over at this point.
Surprise #4- Austin. Austin had just transferred to BYU-Provo and was supposedly up to his eyeballs in work. Is lying to your mother in order to surprise her really wrong?!! I hope we will be forgiven for all the stories we told!!!
I loved the look of utter amazement on her face. She couldn't believe that all of her kids plus most of her 35 grand kids were standing in her home, when she was only expecting me and my little family!!!
Gotcha Mom!!!
The surprises didn't end there. As we did with my Dad when he turned 60, we made my Mom a video of her life and a book as well. My sister Airica did the video again and I did the book. We smuggled pictures out from underneath her nose to scan for both projects. My favorite thing she said while watching the video was, "where did you find those pictures?"
We wanted my mom to know how much we loved her and how much of an impact a righteous woman can have on her family and friends. So we had each person in our family write a letter to her tell her just that...what she meant to them. We also invited friends and extended family to do the same. The end product was amazing, because frankly my Mom is amazing. I had so much fun putting her book together and I hope she can look at it and have tangible evidence of our love and appreciation of her.
We stayed the next day to take some more pictures. My mom had wanted to have pictures of all her girls in white aprons. My family lives in aprons, we are always wearing one and so it was perfect for us to take pictures in them. My mom hired a gal to come and take them and I can't wait until we can see the end product.
That night we had another surprise for my mom. We had a party where we invited all of our friends and family to help celebrate her birthday. It was so nice to see people come out to wish her Happy Birthday and to let her know they loved her. I don't think my Mom is going to trust anything we say ever again. We pulled so many fast ones on her in just a few days her poor little head was spinning!!!
I love you mom, and I'm so glad your mine!!
5 comments:
i am teary.eyed reading that. i love your mom she is so cute!
what a special day for her!!!!
love all the updates!!! :)))
That's amazing that you all were able to pull that off! I just LOVE surprises!
that is so wonderful!
Your mom is so awesome! I love that you totally pulled the wool over her eyes on this one!
Love the look on her face.
Post a Comment