Has anyone who reads my blog(all three of you) ever worked nights? If you have you know how it messes up your body!! Ryan is on the rotation that people "lovingly" call night float. Five nights a week he works from 7pm to 7am. When he gets off on the last night of the week, which happens to be in the morning, he stays at the hospital until noon for his clinic. He then comes home and "tries" to stay up or maybe just have a little cat nap so he can try and sleep like a normal human at night. Then on his one day/night of normalcy he tries to engage in conversation, play with the kids and function like a real dad. You may have noticed I have used the word try/tries a lot. The reason is the poor guy just can't keep his eyes open when the sun is up. He looks like a walking zombie!! This week is his 6th and final week of nights, at least until he does another 7 weeks in the Spring. I am so glad that Ryan's class decided to split this rotation into two. Three months of nights would pretty near kill anyone. Ryan gets to work Christmas Eve again this year, it should be interesting to see how long he stays awake on Christmas morning.The other downside to Ryan working nights is trying to keep the heathens quiet during the day. I probably sound like a broken record to my kids as I am constantly telling them to be quiet, stop running, your daddy's sleeping, talk quieter, ect. Especially with all the kids being home for Christmas break. It rained today, most of the day and so I couldn't send the kids out to play at all. They of course were wanting to act out battles of all kinds and fight, and scream, and cry. It is really a wonder that Ryan gets any kind of sleep at all around here. Tonight when he woke up he looked so haggard. Thankfully he has a whole week off after Christmas so maybe his poor body can get back to it's previously scheduled sleep pattern. I don't {heart} Night Float!!!
10 comments:
That totally stinks!! Poor guy! He must be ready to die! And poor you!!! I cannot imagine how hard that must be! I hope you have a fabulous Christmas day and that your hubby gets some sleep as well as enjoys some good quality together time. And the week after will be awesome to just be together and your husband not have to work at all!
i know sista.. i feel for {you} remember they choose this!!! ;) still feel bad for them too! :)
I'll take those heathens off your hands for a few days next go-around! Then maybe you both can rest! Hang in there! Love you guys!
I completely understand this from both perspectives! When Nate was on his ER rotation, he was a complete zombie for the 2 weeks he had nights, and when I was about 5 months pregnant with Brynlee I had to work nights for about 6-8 weeks. It was the most awful thing ever! I'm not sure I did anything but sleep during that time!
I'm glad it's almost over for ya both! Have a great Christmas!!
I've worked nights, but not for twelve hours at a time. That is an awful schedule. And when I worked nights, it was only until like three a.m...so I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you should build him a sound-proof room. Or have him sleep with ear-plugs. I had a room-mate that snored like a warthog and I just got used to sleeping with earplugs.
Tell Ryan we're hoping Santa might bring him some restful sleep for Christmas! I can't imagine though trying to keep Andren quiet if Levi was home...let alone 4 kiddos!
Poor guy! That is ROUGH on the both of you! Makes me nausous just thinking about it. (i get nausous if i stay up tooo late);)But at least when all is said and done it will be all worth it.:) Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas break all together!
If he's tired enough (which it sounds like he is) he can probably sleep through anything! So don't make yourself crazy and let the kids be noisy - they will anyway!
I think the hard part about daddy's working on Christmas Eve is establishing traditions. Good luck with it all.
I can only relate in that i did the graveyard shift for a month during college break one summer, but I DIDN'T have kids and a spouse at the time that need your attention. It did indeed suck though. Good thing he's almost done for a couple months, you're a good woman!
I can't even imagine. My sister in law works nights and on her days off, she's such a zombie, she can hardly get her family's laundry done. It's a good thing her kids are all in school during the day, so she can get some sleep! Good luck with the rotation. I could never do it, my eyes just know when it's 9pm and they automatically close, just like my mom's!
Post a Comment