This year we decided to change things up a bit. After having a "Charlie Brown" fake Christmas tree for the last 6 years we thought we would go with a real tree this year. We haven't done a real tree since Ayden was about 18 months old. All the kids have known is a fake tree that you put together using a page of directions and color coded branches. Ayden was a little distraught at the thought of not getting to "build" the tree this year. He takes that task very seriously. But we convinced him that getting to use a saw to cut down the tree would be just as much fun. With the promise of using a tool, Ayden relented to getting a real tree. We also informed the kids that we would have to be diligent about checking the water level so the tree didn't get too dry to ensure that it didn't catch on fire. The kids, especially Meysa, ran away with that one. She fretted over the thought of our Christmas tree burning down our house for several days. We promised that it wouldn't happen and she has been the water Nazi ever since. Well the day came for us to go hunt for our Christmas tree. One thing we are not lacking for here in the Pacific Northwest is pine trees and Christmas tree farms. There are probably four of them within five miles of us. No kidding. So we decided to drive to one that was close and also cheap. We bundled the kids up since it was a bit chilly and headed out to conquer the forest!! We decided to go to Tom's tree farm and it did not disappoint. We only had to walk a short ways to find the perfect tree and it was very reasonably priced. Wyatt insisted on walking all by himself, which made for an interesting venture. His hat kept shifting over one of his eyes and he found every tree stump within a foot radius of himself to trip over. He was bound and determined to do it himself though and didn't fuss at all, even when he couldn't walk two steps without falling down.
This is the ONE. It is perfect!! Perfect fullness, perfect height!! It only took us about 5 minutes to find it which made it all the more perfect!!
Ayden had been promised the use of tools so he and dear old Dad are underneath sawing away at the trunk. He loves getting to do the manly things Dad does, and he is actually quiet helpful!!
He held the tree up so that it didn't fall on Dad's head as he finished cutting the last little bit of trunk. See he gets to use his manly muscles too.
Lauryn put in her share of help, holding up one of the branches as the tree was hauled off to the van.
Ayden insisted on helping tie down the tree to the top of the van as well. With him around I am really not any good to anybody anymore. I guess I do get the pictures, that is something!
Lauryn loved frolicking in amongst the trees. She is in a wonderful phase of never looking at the camera and when she does, her eyes are always closed. This is the best we could do folks!!
After falling about 352 times I finally strapped Wyatt into his car seat while we tied down the tree on top of the van. He wasn't too happy about being restrained as you can tell in this shot!
All done and ready to head home to decorate the beautiful tree. Decorating it in and of itself is another story. Something to do with no working Christmas lights in the house or something. The kids have loved having a real tree this year. Ayden said he loved the smell and to be honest it smells like Christmas to me too. I think next year we will have to put it to a vote, real or fake. It'll be interesting to see which one comes out on top!!
9 comments:
Love the pictures Aimee! What a beautiful tree. Colin would say that I help carry the tree like Lauryn...holding only one branch! I actually carry the top of the tree and he gets stuck with the bottom, which he says is the heaviest end. I'm not so sure though! :) Hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas!
Fun adventure! I just love coming home from errands or waking up in the morning to the smell of a Christmas tree in the house. There's nothing better to get you into the holiday spirit and put a smile on your face this time of year. Merry Christmas!
How fun! I wish we ad places like that down here that you actually get to cut the tree down.
love all the pictures! nate would be a bit jealous....
merry christmas!
What a great time! We usually do a real tree, living in Washington my whole life outside of college it was considered a sin in my family if we didn't cut one down. This year however, I was a lame-o and borrowed a fake one from my parents (from my sis Jamie's wedding reception). I'm kind of glad I did, with the tree being in the living room this year and me not there supervising it, Claire will take off ALL the decorations, carry them around the house and then try to put them back on...whatever.
I love the picture at the end with all the kids, you can tell they had a really great time and that's what counts! Great family memories!!!
Yay! I love real Christmas trees. Your kids are going to remember this for a long time.
In fact, the only problem is that you are never going to be able to get them to cooperate with using the fake tree again.
Oh, I really do miss the smell of a real tree. Those candles just don't do any justice. Maybe next year I will get brave and head out early to get a real tree. For the las several it's been fake...
Love the tree! How fun for you and the description of Wyatt walking along made us hoot! See you soon!
I love your pictures. So sweet.
Post a Comment