17 December 2009

{R.E.I = 3 More Years}


I'm not talking about REI, the really cool camping and outdoor store. I am talking about Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility, for short REI. Ryan found out yesterday that he matched for a civilian sponsored fellowship spot in REI. A civilian sponsored spot means the military will pay for him to complete a civilian fellowship program. The military doesn't have it's own REI fellowship so it pays for two residents/doctors to train each year in civilian programs. We don't know where we will be yet, this was only a pre-select match. Meaning they selected the people they want to start fellowships starting in 2011. We now have to take the next year and apply to the civilian fellowships and go through a separate match process. By the Spring of 2011 we should know where we are headed!! We are excited for this opportunity for Ryan to do something he really enjoys. It will also enable us to have better family time in the end. It does mean 3 more years of training after his residency is completed, but I think the benefits far out way the negatives. So for now bring on the application process which is always fun and at the same time daunting. I am very proud of Ryan and I am really looking forward to this new adventure for our family!!

7 comments:

Heather said...

congrats!!! we are happy for you guys... but, i can't think of you guys moving yet cause i don't know what we will do :( ... i don't think i will tell the kids
{maybe you can} ;) luckily we don't need to worry about that for another 1 1/2!!!!!!!

Jenn said...

Thats awesome! Can't wait to hear were you guys will be! Good luck with the application process:)

Erica said...

Congrats!! How exciting for you guys! This "match" business is driving me crazy, I hate waiting to find out! Good luck to you guys in going where you would like to!

Colton said...

And for a minute there I thought this post was going to be interesting.

Just kidding...that is good news, though. Its crazy how fast the time goes by meanwhile.

RR said...

That is so wonderful and exciting! I'm so happy for Ryan! Now if we could just get the military to open up an REI at Madigan you wouldn't have to move

Coleman Family said...

That is so fantastic Aimee! Congratulations to Ryan, please tell him that for us. I will miss you all like crazy, but that's why we have blogs, right? ;)

Dawn said...

oh wow! I thought you guys were going to stay there a while...does this mean you are going to have to rent the house and own two? Good luck with the process...