Being married to an athlete has allowed me an insiders view of what goes on in the mind of one. Don't even get me started on all the stats and dates and names. Mind boggling really. Now that we have a son that is beginning to play sports our home has become a breeding ground for athletes in training. Our evenings are filled with football, baseball and endless hours of ESPN, like 20 channels of it. Our athlete in training is learning some important lessons about hard work, determination and the ever important rules of superstition. Superstition has always been a curious thing to me. I don't think I am one bit superstitious but my dear husband is, when it comes to athletics. Like don't ever, ever step on the chalk line when getting onto the baseball field. It is just chalk, but to them it means something very important, even though they themselves cannot tell you what it means. This is just one general superstition at least in baseball. Each player has his own way of getting prepped for a game or what he does before each batter comes to the plate. As I watch from the sidelines of my son being trained by his father I am finding it rather fun to watch all those rules of superstition being passed on to him. A recent example of this was this football season Ayden just had. Ayden for a while now has been wanting to grow his hair out a little longer, which we usually let him do in the winter anyways. Ayden though wanted it to be a longer than I usually would like to have it. We agreed so long as he didn't look like an orphan and it couldn't grow over his ears and down his neck. This was at the beginning of the season. Well as the season progressed and Ayden's team kept winning (except the little hiccup about week 3 or 4) his hair kept growing longer and longer. But by this time we (and I mean we very liberally) couldn't change what was working or it would throw the whole team off. As if by some magic Ayden's long hair was keeping this team on the winning side of each game, his Dad also wore the same sweatshirt to each game(it is the little things that matter ya know). So the long hair stayed through the end of the season. It was long enough that actually his Dad even agreed he needed a hair cut. So for FHE we had a ceremonial hair cutting night.
Ayden made a wrong move in cutting the very front himself and that sealed the fate of how short his hair was actually going to be. It was a lot shorter than we were planning on!!!
The shag of hair on his head was so long. This is before.
And this is after. You can actually see his eyes, oh how handsome he is!!!
This how Ayden feels about his SHORT hair. Consequences to ones choices are sometimes hard to live by (cutting his own hair willy nilly). I think he looks so much better but I don't think the fight over hair is at all over. Nor is my attempt to understand superstition in sports. I do have a pretty good teacher though so perhaps one day I'll get it!!!
3 comments:
haha.. cutting his bangs. but, i sure do love his new haircut!! :)
WAY to go on the win.
Believe it or not, I liked his long hair (yes, I did, Ryan!!) Nor did I get the superstitions when Ryan played but alas they had to be followed! (Wish I could remember if I wore the same sweatshirt to his games!) I wasn't really sure I would get to see the championship game or another one....so happy they won!!!! he, he!!
I put 2 dimes and 3 pennies in my pocket for years in hopes I'd win my fastpitch games..
Silly I know! Sadly I too can say I have spent years of my life watching sportscenter!
Post a Comment