12 December 2007

To OB, or not to OB. That is the Question.

Well, today is match day for the Army PGYME and GME slots (intern, residency and fellowship slots). As most of you know I have been doing my intern year at Madigan Army Medical Center, with hopes of transitioning into the OB/GYN program. The verdict came down today from the highest powers in Washington DC. I was chosen/matched to stay at Madigan to complete my OB/GYN training. No General Medical Officer slot and a guaranteed tour in Iraq for me!!! All the hard work and good impressions have finally paid off. It was kind of anti-climactic though as the program director was talking to me last month about which office I was going to move into and then last week telling the other interns that I was going to have to decide if I wanted to continue renting or just buy a house here. It is nice to have it all official and on paper though. Aimee is extremely excited and happy that we know we will be in a set spot for 3 1/2 more years. I'm sure we will be house hunting and realator shopping over the next few months as we decide if buying here is a feasable option. Just wanted to let everyone know the good news.

13 comments:

Heather said...

We are so happy for you Ryan!!!!
So, the house next to us is still up for sale!?!??? :)
You know you want to be that close to us...... :)
Congrats!!!!!

Lani said...

anticlimactic or not, it is just nice to know what the next couple of years hold. congrats.... you're now in the last "tunnel" and before long you'll talk about seeing the light at the end of that tunnel.

Heather said...

so you know that i am ONLY going to help you move somewhere else if we can still carpool to basketball and keep each other awake in elder's quorm! great job man! happy to have you as part of the program officially. nate

Becky T said...

Congratulations all of you! That is really great news!!

Laura Bernard said...

Hip Hip Hooray!! Congrats to you! Isn't it nice to have a plan and security!? So happy for you!

Mom (aka Grandma) said...

We are SO excited!!! It's an answer to prayer and I love that we are so close. Congratulations, Ryan! We are so very proud of you!
Love you!

Dan and Amanda Arrhenius said...

So yes, Rich is in the military. Dan told me you guys were there too! Do you like Washington? I would love to hear any details to relay to them. Plus I need to get you in touch with Danielle, my sister-in-law. I think that it would be awesome to talk with someone who is already there and might have any tips or pointers. How exciting! Well I can't wait to hear from you guys. You can email us at danandamanda@gmail.com HAve a great day! Still loving' your blog!
Amanda

Debbi said...

I am so excited that you will be there next year when we are there! Maybe you can help us find an apartment, since I really don't want to live with my parents! Yeah for you guys!

The Nielsen Family said...

Congratulations!! We are so excited for you guys!!

Dawn said...

Yea!!! We are so happy for you guys. You have definitley chose/been chosen for a great career in which you will always have a job. You will have GREAT stories to tell as well. Congrats and good luck finding that house. Aimee-have fun with the paint!!

The Grandy's said...

Congratulations. There is something totally unfair with the army deciding your future career for you. We fortunately had success but many people we know get stuck flying aircraft they never wanted to fly. I guess it all worked out in the end. You must have been shmoozing over some high ranking people huh?

Heather said...

Congrats on being able to stay in Washington. Mark and I were hoping you would be able to. who knows...maybe we will be stationed in the same place someday.

Sariah,Chief Editor said...

Good job Ryan!! I am excited for you guys! You are a hard worker and have a great supporter(Aimee... is awesome!)