Things went downhill fast. He of course didn't like people prodding or picking at him and he especially didn't like somebody poking him with a sharp needle. The bad part came when they had to stick him 5 different times in order to get enough blood. This little man has some killer platelets. His blood was clotting basically as soon as it hit air or even before that. The nurses could get a good vein, get the blood to start and just as soon as it would start it would clot. It was like milking blood from a turnip. Wyatt of course did not like being a pin cushion. They even had the ped oncology nurses come in and try to get a vein that would cooperate but no such luck!! Finally the Dr. came in a drew blood from his radial artery but as soon as they switched out collection syringes it clotted and was blown. Poor little guy. All the nurses felt so bad as did the Dr. But what can you do? So he got blood taken from both arms (three times) and both feet (twice). So far all the labs that have come back are normal so he might just be a runt like his mama. I don't think we needed the bruises to prove that!!

Sorry the pics are so wonderful. Wyatt was moving so much. He was having flashbacks of the blood draws, he didn't want me to hold on to nothing!!!

7 comments:
sorry little man. his face is so cute. i hope everythng will be o.k.
he will be in our prayers.
hope ayden is having a better night ;)
xo
awe... so sad when that has to happen. Hope all will be well.
I just want to hug that little guy - give him an extra one from me! Hope you guys are hanging in there as well! Love you!
Oh, poor guy. He is so dang cute. That is hard for the mama to go through. Hope all is well now!
Uugh. I hate phlebotomists. Those people suck. I have been turned into a pincushion myself many times. I've finally given up on donating blood. I hate it.
Oh! That is so sad. Jack did that too. Did they test for Mono? It isn't very common in infants and toddlers but that is what Jack had. It took a couple months but he is back being "BIG" on the weight :) Hope you figure it out.
Ouch, poor little guy! I hate getting blood drawn. Hope he doesn't remember for long. And there's nothing wrong with being the runt. I ought to make a well check for McKenna, just out of curiousity. But there's just too much of Grampa Vurrell in me and if it's not broken, I'm not going to fix it!
Post a Comment