
I think the "Dead of Winter" can mean a lot of things to different people depending on where they live. About 3 years ago while residing in Iowa, the dead of winter meant to our family sub zero temperatures, lots of snow and ice and lots of acute cabin fever. I never really payed attention to the weather before, like I did while living in the Midwest. We had the extremes on both ends of the spectrum. Unbearable heat in the summer and arctic cold in the winter. And people ask me, "why did you like it there?" I don't have a good answer for that, I just did!! It must have been the people!!! Well now that we live in an entirely different place we have an entirely new meaning for the phrase "dead of winter'.

The Pacific Northwest is known for it's, let's say "moisture". After having lived in Iowa for a good chunk of their lives, my children feel very jipped that they don't have the usual amount of snow during this time of year. Instead we have endless rain and grey, grey skies. Our yards are soggy, along with our shoes. The kids still can't play outside unless they want to get an extra bath for the day. Don't get me wrong I don't mind not having to shovel feet and feet of snow each day but a few rays of sunshine wouldn't hurt, would it?

The funniest part about all this rain-and funny like I can't understand it at all- is that during the summer we are on rationed water for our yards and such. Why you ask, because there just isn't ENOUGH water for all. Seriously, it rains like 360 days a year and we don't have enough water?!! It is mind boggling really. And another mind boggling effect of these very wet winters is that my skin has never been more dry in all my life. I have to reapply moisture cream like 53 times a day or my skin is dry, itchy and peeling. Explain that my friends (and yes I am drinking a gallon of water a day, so I know my insides are just fine)!!

So I sit in my nice dry home, while the wind and the rain howl outside....again. Our definition of the dead of winter now includes the words, wet, cold, windy, grey and wet!!! Hope you guys are seeing some sunshine where ever you are!! Enjoy it for me!!
9 comments:
Loving your pictures! Are you having fun with this project? I haven't even taken aa a picture this week!
You know what...I didn't mind the rain so much when we lived in Tacoma, but it's those long, grey days of winter that can get to ya! It's supposed to be 52 degrees here tomorrow...I'm going to try to get the boys out to the park to enjoy it. I can't wait for spring and summer!!!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lay an invincible summer." -Albert Camus
The problem with water in the Pacific Northwest is that it isn't very well distributed throughout the year. If you could keep the water that you are getting right now until later, you would be a lot better off. Check this article out, its only a few pages:
http://floridarivers.ifas.ufl.edu/RiverClass/Papers/Service_snow_melt.pdf
You may not be that interested, but just wanting to vent, in which case "Yeah! Rain sucks!"
What awesome pics! loved the post too
this is great. i'm laughing cause you said it so well. the pictures say it all!!! i think we need to go to hawaii again!!!!!!! :)
I will so take the grey and rain over the crazy Iowa weather any day! I do love the sun though, it just makes it that much better when it comes out! I love the pictures!
I'd dare say our dead of winter has been somewhat similar to yours! It's funny how different it can be from Iowa! And I have to say that I also am experiencing the driest skin. It's just crazy! It doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me that it could happen here. Hmmmm. So maybe when you find out why, you'll have to let me know! :)
Oh bummer! I remember talking to you one winter while you lived in Iowa and it was January and you were having those sub zero temperatures. I was sitting on my front porch in capris and flip flops, and I actually had to move into the shade because my feet were burning! I would go mental without the sun! I guess that's why I live in AZ...hope the sun shines soon for you. Hang in there, at least you won't blow away in March and April. Cool camera, by the way.
Beautiful pics!! Even in the dead of winter! ;o)
Post a Comment