19 January 2010

{Summer in Winter}

One of my favorite things to do during the long winter is make something that helps me think of those all too short summers. For me making freezer jam is one of those things. I buy fresh picked berries during the summer and freeze them so that fresh flavor stays. I usually make it in small batches, I make it as I use it. We were almost out of "red" jam so the other day I decided to make some more with the girls. I made blackberry and raspberry, some of my favorites!!
The recipe is so simple...2 cups fruit puree (make as chunky as you like), 2 cups of sugar and 1 small box of jello (3oz). You bring the fruit and sugar to a boil, then add the jello and stir to dissolve. Remove from heat-you don't want to cook it for long after adding the jello just til it is dissolved, and put into freezer safe containers. Let it cool to room temperature and then put in freezer. So simple yet sooo good. It tastes like really fresh fruit but in the middle of winter!!

Having the girls help was well not really helpful, but they had a great time. They were pretending to have a megaphone with the funnel. Meysa kept announcing things like they do at school. Lauryn kept singing at the top of her lungs. I was kinda glad when I had to confiscate it to ladle the jam into my containers. I love their imaginations though. Some of the story lines they come up with are hilarious!!



So if you are longing for that summer fresh taste in the middle of winter, go ahead and try this. It is sure to please!!

8 comments:

*Katie May* said...

YUMMY!

The Willis Wonder Years said...

That looks delicious!! I may just have to press my luck with my sub-par culinary skills and give it a try! Cute pics too!

Seth & Erin Finch said...

I love freezer jam, we get some from my inlaws from their awesome garden.

Heather said...

yummmmmmm!! can i have some...
please! :)

M & S Eagar said...

okay i'm really excited to try your recipe...i've never heard of jello instead of pectin. sounds easy and tasty to me.

Odd Family said...

What a good mamma you are! That does look delicous! Cuuuutttte pictures!!!

Mom (aka Grandma) said...

Where's Chef Wyatt?!!!! I love this recipe with blueberries...I just made more too!

Coleman Family said...

What a great idea! We ran out of freezer jam...um, like the month after I made it! And I think I made like 10 containers full! Good job Aimee, and by the way, I am squishing away...;)