27 October 2010

{Trauma}




I was meaning to post about our wonderful Family Home Evening of pumpkin carving but then yesterday happened and that idea went out the window. It started yesterday at lunch. I had fixed the two little ones a PB&J sandwich with some chips and some capri susn and set them at the table. I headed upstairs to check on the update for my blurb books on my computer (I am frantically trying to get those done before next year). No sooner than I hit the office and I hear a bang. A chair had been turned over and I turn to head back downstairs to interrupt whatever mayhem is happening and I hear another chair being turned over but this one was followed by a scream. So I race down the stairs to find Lauryn on the floor with her toenail dangling off of her toe. Literally. Wyatt had pushed the chair over and it had landed just right on Lauryn's toe and ripped her toenail and nail bed off her toe. There was blood everywhere and Lauryn was crying. I frantically got the first aid kit and with our meager supplies set to wrapping the toe so it would stop bleeding so much (hence the reason there is no graphic picture, although I wish I had a before picture now). I called the peds clinic at Madigan and got an appointment, sure that they would tell me it would be ok. I stop to pick up the older kids from school and head up to Ryan's office to drop the other kids off. Thankfully he was done in the OR and could watch them in his office. Lauryn and I head up to the peds clinic and wait to be seen. Finally we get to go back and the new civilian Dr. doesn't know what to do so she pages several people, all of which want nothing to do with Lauryn's toe and send her to someone else. Finally after over an hour she tells me I need to take Lauryn to the ER to be seen. I head back to Ryan's office and let him know what needs to be done and he decides that he will take her so I can get Ayden to football. He calls ahead and talks to the senior ER resident and lets them know he is on his way. I head home and wait impatiently for news of how things are going and how bad things are. Ryan finally calls to let me know that her toenail broke off at the bone (not the best scenario) and her nail bed was ripped out. Yeah it sounds really nice. So they tried to suture the nail bed back onto her toe and we now get to wait and see if her nail will ever grow back. She is also on an antibiotic so she doesn't get a bone infection. She has been such a trooper through this whole thing. Not really crying-except initially and then when they numbed her foot so they could work on it, she did not like that!! She is staying home from school today for a couple of reasons, one, I don't have a shoe to cover that big pink toe and two, I am so afraid some child will step on her toe damaging it worse before it even has time to heal. We get to take the dressing off on Friday to check to see it's progress and to check for infection. Let's pray things heal well and that she will eventually have a toe nail growing back.

8 comments:

The Willis Wonder Years said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!! THAT IS AWFUL! Poor Lauryn! That made MY toe hurt just reading about it so I cannot even imagine the pain your poor little one must have felt having to live it! I sure hope it heals quickly and as painlessly as possible!

The Willis Wonder Years said...

P.S. What is a blurb book? Sounds interesting!

Heitmann Family said...

It is a company where you can make your own books and you can slurp your blog into a book. So I make my blog into a yearly family journal. It is really cool and priced well. check it out www.blurb.com

Jodi said...

Awww poor Lauryn! How horrible! Leave to mischievous little boys!

M & S Eagar said...

After reading that, my big toe started throbbing. OUCH!

Frasier Family said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds awful! Poor little Lauryn. I can't imagine how it all went down to have the chair fall perfectly to rip her toenail like that. Give her hugs for us...hope it heals well.

*Katie May* said...

ouch! poor girl! that made my insides churn! i hope for the best!

Mom (aka Grandma) said...

Give her a big hug from us! Can't wait to see you this weekend.