12 August 2009

Working Man

Ayden has been really interested in making money this summer. He has some pretty lofty goals of saving money to purchase the toys and such that I won't get him. He doesn't think he can wait around for his birthday or Christmas, the two dates when we "might" get him something bigger. That is just fine with me. So he asked what he could do to make some money. I don't pay my kids for making their beds, or emptying the dishwasher, ect. I consider those to be their responsibility because they are a part of the family. So we compromised on him learning to mow the lawn. He was pretty excited about that prospect. Ryan showed him how to start it, how to overlap his passes and how to do a pivot turn. I told him that I would pay him $5 if HE mowed the entire lawn by himself. If he did just the front then it would be half that. Thankfully to him $5 is still a huge amount.
The first time he did it himself he started the lawn mower all by himself, and he mowed the whole front yard by himself. The back yard is a little harder because of the layout and the fence makes turning around harder, so I did that. He was pretty proud of himself to have earned money to put in his own wallet. He is also learning about tithing, saving some and then having some spending money.

This growing up stuff can be fun and hard all at the same time!!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm loving the working gloves! My brother got paid to mow the lawn. By the time it came around to me learning - it was apart of my regular weekend chores. How's that for complaining and pulling the whoa whoa is me syndrome?? ;) But really - I'm still bitter.

How fun though - way to be documenting with your new camera - your pics are looking great!

Mom (aka Grandma) said...

You are growing up too fast, Ayden!
Just think, when you're tired of doing the mowing, Wyatt will be old enough to take over the duties (how's that for making Mom and Dad feel older too!?!!!)

*Katie May* said...

I love it when they think 5 bucks is a lot. Not looking forward to the day when they realize it isn't

Colton said...

Good for you, I don't cotton to that business of rewarding kids for chores. Nobody is going to pay them once they grow up to take out their own garbage.

The lawn is a nice compromise, though.