21 September 2012

{Preschool 2012}

(A riveting game of I Spy)

The day after Labor Day, when the older kids went back to school, Wyatt got to start preschool.  He has been waiting, sometimes not so patiently, to get to go to school like the bigger kids.  It must be a condition of the youngest in the family.  Always wanting to do what everyone else is doing, believing infatically that you are big enough for everything.  Wyatt has it and has it bad.  But that is what makes him so darn fun too.  And much to his credit he is able to do a lot that you wouldn't think a four year old could do.

I have sent the older three kids off to preschool the year before Kindergarten.  Really only to give them some social opportunities, out under my wing.  They all knew their letters, numbers, colors, shapes and how to write their name.  I wasn't expecting the preschool experience to teach them those things.  Well since Wyatt is the youngest, and I don't have another baby needing my time, I decided that I would do preschool with him at home instead of sending him to a preschool.  Another reason I chose to keep him home is that I really didn't want to pay the amount most preschools out here in my neck of the woods request (think a really nice car payment).  I figured I definitely had the time and Wyatt and I could enjoy the last year before I boot him out of the nest so to speak.

I found a great preschool curriculum, called the Learning Box Preschool, which provides everything you need to do preschool at your home.  They give you all the lessons, outlined.  All the craft supplies, usually all cut and ready.  Plus all the supplies that you need to set up a classroom.  We are in our third week, and so far it is a success.  Wyatt gets through the material quickly but he is learning and so I am pleased.  I augment the curriculum with activity sheets and library visits and it seems to be just enough of what he needs.  I think this year will do a fine job of preparing him for Kindergarten next year.

Here is to a great year of Mom preschool!!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh cute Wyatt!! Glad your enjoying it!! See ya soon