This story really starts on Sunday afternoon. The kids were doing their best to have a quiet and restful Sunday afternoon by having a spinning derby with our leather reclining chairs. Ayden was spinning Wyatt and he got a little over zealous and whacked his thumb on the wall. He howled like he was being killed. I checked him out and it looked like it would have hurt. His poor little thumb was already swollen and it felt funny!! I told him we would have Dad check it when he got home (yes he was on again on Sunday). Ryan got home after the kids were in bed and he did go and check on it but didn't really want to move it a whole lot and wake Ayden up!! Ayden could bend his thumb but if you put any pressure on the area between his thumb joint-close to the hand and his joint near the end of his finger he would shriek. Well Ryan got a better look at it last night and said he thought it was broken!! I thought of taking him in this morning but then thought of wrestling three kids at the Dr.'s and Ayden missing school and decided I would just take him to the ER and have Ryan stay with the other kiddos who were on their way to bed!The rest of the story is well kinda frustrating. Ayden and I left our home at about 8:10 after we had family home evening with the missionaries at the church and the girls and Wyatt were in bed. We got to the base at about 8:35-8:40. We were through triage and x-ray by 9:18. Now here comes the amazingly, aggravating part. We were not seen by a doctor until 3:30 AM(that was the time on Ayden's discharge note stating when he was seen by the doctor). Yes you read that right, I said 6 HOURS. Now granted they were busy with 4 different incoming traumas during that time. I get that. But seriously 6 hours. What did we do for all that free time you ask? We watched the movie Cars 2 1/2 times, and then had to endure crappy CW tv (can I tell you how thankful I am that I don't get any cable!!). Thankfully Ayden didn't see much of it he finally fell asleep once we got him a blanket. It was freezing in there. Finally we were called back at about 3:00am and then another trauma came in, and I actually think 3:30am was the time when the Dr. actually looked at Ayden's films, not the actual time at which he saw Ayden. I think that was more like 4:00am. Well I know you are on the edge of your seat as to Ayden's diagnosis....a mere contusion to his Right thumb is all we have to show. His films were negative for a fracture the doctor said but he wanted to repeat films in a week and he wanted to splint it just to be safe. A grand total of about 5 minutes was all that was needed to tell me that. So we waited again for a nurse to come and do a thumb spika splint (twice) and we were finally walking out of the ER doors at 4:40am. We got back in time for Ryan to leave for work. Ryan himself didn't sleep all that well, he was restless worrying about us.
I am sure most of you have also had experiences like this where you wait for an insane amount of time for treatment in an ER. What bust my bubble I guess is this. Why could someone have not looked at his films say around 10:30 heck even 11:00 (it doesn't take that long for the films to come back-remember they were taken at 9:15pm) and determine that it was not broken, would not need an Ortho consult and casting and could be splinted and followed up with Peds and sent us the HECK home? Another bubble busting thing is there were people with the common cold that were taken back before him (and all these people were there after Ayden mind you-and yes I understand about triage). Why not take back the five minute splint job, get them taken care of and then take back the cold pt. that will take more time and resources. Heck we didn't even get a room, we got the hallway gurney!! It blows my mind!! I guess to make a LONG story SHORT Ayden and I are running on fumes and Ryan is on low too. I got about an hour and fifteen minutes of sleep this morning before Lauryn was at my bedside asking for breakfast and then I got about a two hour nap this afternoon when Wyatt was down for his nap. I don't think I will do the ER ever again. I'll take wrestling three kids in the Peds clinic before I spend another 8 hours waiting to be seen in the ER!!
The long waited for splint. I kept saying it better be broken for the amount of time we are waiting to see a doctor, but I am obviously glad it is just bruised. Ayden was so tired he slept the entire time the nurse was splinting his arm. I guess we will see if it is broken or just bruised really bad in a week with our new films.
Next time thumb, stay away from the wall would you!!
10 comments:
wow. it makes me want to cry all over for you again!!! :)
love ya!!!
p.s. my mom said you should have left!!!!!! :) she just wanted me to let you know that!!! :)
Oh my goodness...I don't know how you functioned and took care of the kids today! I understand your frusteration...I almost took Andren to the ER one night because I was scared about a high temperature, but my Dad said not to for that very reason!
Oh Aimee! I'm so sorry! What a crappy night! I had a similar thing happen to me with Emma when she wasn't quite 2. It was a joke. Here's this baby crying and they just took their time. I was NOT a happy mama! I'm glad though that it's not broken - but I know what you mean. It's like when I say "this traffic is so slow there'd BETTER be an accident!" When of COURSE I don't want there to be an accident! Oh well...
I'd be happy to take your kiddos anytime you need a break and a nap!
That is the MOST frustrating story EVER!!! You had to have been just pulling your hair out!!! I am so sorry! I am happy though that nothing too serious was wrong with his thumb and that he didnt have to have a hard cast! Yikes!! But that is so dang annoying!!!
I have found in my days at the hosptial that common sense does not rule the day! It happens even more frequently in the commercial hospitals. Our hospital now posts signs telling you how long of a wait you have (imagine being scared to death over your child and walking up to the ER to have the sign say "wait time is 6 hours!!!") Believe it has happened! I am glad Ayden is doing okay and hopefully you are getting caught up on your rest! Hugs!
Aimee,
I'm so sorry that totally stinks. Madigan needs an Urgent Care!
What a pain! Hope you're feeling caught up on your sleep by now! And glad Ayden's alright. I guess we can be glad all of our hospital visits were nothing like yours!!
that is what happens when swine flu is running rampant.
that totally sucks! I don't like the idea of er's, I'd rather wait it out at the dr office, wrestling extra kids. I was pretty lucky the last time I was there myself. In and out in 2 hours and it was only about 11 by the time I left. I guess Prescott is truly 'rural'.
Post a Comment