So about that thumb...well we had our repeat films done on Tuesday. Ayden's thumb was still tender and it still hurt in the same spot (middle-between joints) and so the Dr. ordered some new films. Dr. B said he would be back in touch with me the next day when he got the radiology report. Well the radiologist beat him to the punch. I got a call from the radiologist Wed. morning saying that Ayden's thumb was indeed broken (a slight fracture) and it would need to be casted. Dr. B called a little while after that saying that yes it was broken but we could just continue to splint it and it would be fine. Well the peds office called about 45 minutes later stating that Dr. B consulted with a Orthopaedic Dr. and they wanted it to be casted and that I needed to walk in that afternoon to the cast clinic. Are you confused and dizzy yet? I am not sure which plan we are on anymore....D, E, F?!! Anyway, luckily it was early release and so I picked Ayden up from school and headed up to the base. I was about ready to get on the freeway and the peds clinic called once again to say that I didn't need to come in right now but to come in at 8am the next morning (today) to the cast clinic and they would see us then. I'm just glad that they caught me before I actually got on the freeway. So bright (or not so bright) and early this morning we headed up to the cast clinic to see an Orthopaedic Dr. and then have Ayden's thumb finally put into a cast!!! The Ortho PA looked at Ayden's thumb and rechecked his films and decided for sure that it needed to be casted. The break in his thumb was not displaced or anything but he felt for an active 8 yr. old boy to be careful with a broken thumb in a splint was a little too much to ask. So he will have his cast on for just two weeks and then hopefully it will have had enough of a chance to heal up.
Playing mummy a little early!!
It took a mere 10 minutes for them to put on the cast.

All done!! Hopefully the only post you will see in the future about this particular thumb will be getting the cast off!! Boy was that whole ordeal a nightmare. I for one am glad to see it casted and on it's way to healing!!
Playing mummy a little early!!
It took a mere 10 minutes for them to put on the cast.
All done!! Hopefully the only post you will see in the future about this particular thumb will be getting the cast off!! Boy was that whole ordeal a nightmare. I for one am glad to see it casted and on it's way to healing!!
6 comments:
Only a true scrapbooker/blogger would take a camera to the appointment!!! I love it! Tell Ayden I can't wait to sign it!!! Love and hugs!
That is CRAZY! Make up your mind alreay right!? Glad it all ended well!
so sorry mr.ayden. love the color though!!!:)
When I was little I always wanted to break my arm so that I could get a cast. It didn't happen until I was bucked off a horse around age sixteen, and there weren't any protruding bones or anything, so my parents didn't even take me to the hospital. Sometimes when I turn my wrist a certain way it still hurts. Oh well. Thank goodness for the Resurrection someday.
What you just described I know too well. The white sleeve, then white prewrap, clear wet fiberglass, and last colored wet fiberglass..and then you have it, a cast for a broken part. We do about a gillion of these at the clinic I work for.
Hope all is well for that first lil' phalange!!
Poor kid! But at least now, you won't have to be after him AS much to be careful with it. The cast should take care of most of that!
Post a Comment